[texpoint-users] Two perhaps related problems

O. Patrick Kreidl opk at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 24 08:16:24 PDT 2006

I've recently installed (and licensed) tex point for windows XP and cannot get
either inline or display mode to work as advertised.

My texpoint configuration/information has all error codes at 0, so I've gotten
that far. Here are my problems:

(1) Inline mode problem: texifying   \cmm{p(x,y)}   results in strange
characters in place of "(" and ")" and ",". I found inline FAQ #3, which seems
related, but mine is not a portability problem (yet). My version of Miktex is
happy with ams font packages, but it sounds like inline mode does not
necessarily rely on the latex engine. If it's a matter of installing more fonts
within windows somehow, please err on the side of overly explicit
directions...I'm font-challenged.

(Quick rant: the frequent font difficulties I encounter baffle me. It's 2006 and
we have organ transplantation, 10 gig drives the size of credit cards, deep
space exploration...but can't get computer fonts to be painless.)

(2) Display mode problem: display box is empty. I found display FAQ #7, and
believe I'm entering source code correctly because the size of the display box
changes as one would expect depending on what I enter; the suggested
modification to the latex argument also didn't change anything (and I'm not
starting with an old presentation anyhow). I also found a thread on this
problem, but I am using the latest version of tex point and verified my
configuration to have magnification 200.

INPUT & OUTPUT
---------------
I took out the  \input{../../stdlib}  command following the   \pagestyle{}
command because I don't have any such file...perhaps it should be pointing
welsewhere?

\documentclass{article}
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
\[
p(x,y) = f(x,y) + g(x,y)
\]
\end{document}

The only suspicious thing is the dvips output block:

dvips -D 1200 -E -o "TP_tmp.ps" "TP_tmp.dvi"
This is dvips(k) 5.94b Copyright 2004 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2006.06.24:1058' -> TP_tmp.ps
dvips: Can't make it EPSF, sorry
<tex.pro><texps.pro>. <cmr10.pfb><cmmi10.pfb>[1]