[texpoint-users] Problem in inline mode with \gamma and \delta SOLUTION

Lev Bishop lev.bishop at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 17:28:44 PST 2008

I was also seeing the problem reported by others on this list, where
\gamma and \epsilon show up as degree sign and plus-minus in Arial,
instead of the correct greek character (in cmmi10 or whatever). I was
getting this problem using texpoint on powerpoint 2002 (office xp)
running on windows xp-sp2. It was impossible to change the font of
those characters to anything other than Arial.

The solution turned out to be to go into the control panel, regional
and language options, go to the language options tab, and uncheck the
"Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages
(including Thai)" checkbox. After doing this and rebooting, I was able
to use those inline characters perfectly. I didn't see this behaviour
myself but apparently \eta would have shown up as acute accent in
arial as well.

This was an obscure problem to troubleshoot -- there doesn't seem to
be much discussion of this issue on the web.

Lev