[texpoint-users] Texpoint fails to load external components

Fabio Franchini gfabio at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 10:40:27 PDT 2011

I have not used texpoint for a few months, but yesterday I found a bad
surprise.
I have Windows 7 Pro SP1, Office 2007 and Texpoint 3.3.1 .
Texpoint loads correctly in Powerpoint, opens my old equations and allows me
to generate new ones, but when I try to actually generate the output, it
fails to call the latex compiler (Error: Tex2Bmp: Error while running
<latex> Press Cancel or Finish Later to exit to Powerpoint) and the Log
Display only says "no log available". In fact, from the Information tab of
the Configure menu it's clear that TexPoint fails to call any external
component (I'm pasting the content below). By opening a command prompt
window all executables load correctly (latex, dvips, gswin32c) and they're
correctly present in the PATH. I tried all the suggestions from the
website's F.A.Q. and even tried de-installing and reinstalling Texpoint, but
nothing worked.

Do you have any suggestion? The only thing I can think of is that just 3
days ago I installed the first service pack for Windows 7: can this be a
source of issue? Should I really de-install the SP?

Thank you for your support,
Fabio

TexPoint Configuration Information

Please include this information if you contact the authors with a problem.

Version: 3.3.1 (Win) (June 15, 2010)
Built on Wed Jun 16 21:54:38 2010 for Office 2007
User: Fabio
Running on: NFhCZpSS77CEDNeI
in: PowerPoint  version 12.0 (Office 2007), build 6535, running on Windows
(32-bit) 6.01 (Vista)

Licensing:  - Licensed to gfabio at gmail.com
running as AddIn: TexPoint
TexPoint path: C:\Program Files (x86)\TexPoint\
Document path: D:\Fabio\Documents\Presentations
Document name: 2011-03-22 - SISSA - Singular Behavior of the Entanglement
Entropy.pptx
current path: D:\Fabio\Documents\Presentations
work directory: D:\Fabio\Documents\Presentations\

PATH variable: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\;C:\Program
Files\gs\gs8.71\bin;C:\Program Files
(x86)\MiKTeX\miktex\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program
Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\;C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth
Software\syswow64;C:\Program Files (x86)\IsoBuster;C:\Program Files
(x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files
(x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\Windows Live;

TEXPOINTLIC environment variable:
License File: C:\Users\Fabio\AppData\Roaming\TexPoint.lic
TEXPOINTINI environment variable:
Configuration File: C:\Users\Fabio\AppData\Roaming\TexPoint.ini
==== Contents of C:\Users\Fabio\AppData\Roaming\TexPoint.ini ====
#TexPoint global settings
#Only settings that are different from default values are written
wrap=0
ebwidth=475
ebheight=398
==== end of C:\Users\Fabio\AppData\Roaming\TexPoint.ini ====

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
<<<< checking your LaTeX setup (needed for Tex, Equation displays) >>>>
=> LaTeX check FAILED!!! You must install latex, and you must add it to the
PATH
Otherwise, you cannot use displays
<error calling: latex>
<no output generated>

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
<<<< checking your dvips setup (needed for Tex, Equation displays) >>>>
=> dvips check FAILED!!! You must install latex, and you must add it to the
PATH
Otherwise, you cannot use displays
<error calling: dvips>
<no output generated>

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
<<<< checking your ghostscript setup (needed for Tex, Equation, Postscript
displays)>>>>
=> ghostscript check FAILED!!! You must install Ghostscript and you must add
it to the PATH
Otherwise, you cannot use displays
<error calling: gswin32c>
<no output generated>

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
<<<< checking your pstoedit setup (needed for Outline Tex, Equation
displays)>>>>
=> pstoedit check FAILED!!! You cannot use Outline/EMF format for displays
pstoedit found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\TexPoint\pstoedit.exe
<error calling: "C:\Program Files (x86)\TexPoint\pstoedit.exe">
<no output generated>

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
<<<< checking your ImageMagick setup (optional, needed for Pictures
displays) >>>>
=> convert check FAILED!!! You can still use most of TexPoint, except
picture displays
<error calling: convert.exe>
<no output generated>

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
<<<< checking your gnuplot setup (needed for Plot displays) >>>>
=> gnuplot check FAILED!!! You can still use most of TexPoint, except plot
displays
<error calling: pgnuplot.exe>
<no output generated>

If all external commands are OK, TexPoint is fully functional. In case a
'FAILED' is shown, some features will not work. You may want to install the
indicated software and/or check the global (on Mac: the bash) path
configuration. Please also check the manual for details.